- 4 medium-sized zucchini or large yellow squash
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup marinara sauce (your favorite)
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Combine panko bread crumbs, olive oil, chopped basil and parmesan cheese.
- Season ingredients with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside for later use.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut zucchini or yellow squash evenly in half lengthwise.
- Use a small spoon, scoop out the seeds from each half, creating room for filling.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Brown each zucchini or yellow squash half for about 2 minutes on both sides.
- Remove from pan and place on a cookie sheet skin side down.
- Fill each with ricotta, marinara sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
- Evenly sprinkle the bread crumb mixture on last.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Serve warm.